Here’s What You Need for Traveling to Sri Lanka
If you love incredible tropical destinations, Sri Lanka should definitely be on your must-see list. With a long history behind, this is a country that blends the best of natural beauty with culture and wildlife. In this post, we will talk of some of the quick facts for easy planning.
Make your choices
There are many cities and places of interest in Sri Lanka, so it’s best to sort. Here are the best picks with a small brief for each.
- Colombo – Your typical capital city with plenty of shops, museums and galleries. If you are keen on tasting local flavors, you can head to Mount Lavinia, which has an amazing beach and some great beachside shops and restaurants. The nightlife around and in Colombo is at par with all Asian countries.
- Kandy – Known as the cultural capital, Kandy is known for The Temple of the Tooth, which is the most holy shrine in Sri Lanka. From here, you can also take of Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage and Millenium Elephant Foundation.
- Galle – This place is close to Colombo and should take around three hours by car or a little more by bus. The Galle Fort is the prime attraction, which offers panoramic views. The beach is equally good, while you can also find a few local shops to buy antiques.
- Nuwara Eliya- Easy to reach by train from Kandy and Colombo, Nuwara Eliya is known for the tea plantations and colonial architecture. The weather is always on the lower side, and even when there’s isn’t much to see here, the experience is amazing.
- Anuradhapura – If you are fond of temples, you can take a tour of Anuradhapura, which has some great temples and ruins, which have been restored in recent times. The place can be reached by car from Colombo, usually taking around 5 hours.
Planning the vacation
When you want to plan the right kind of trip, it is best to check with tour operators. There are names like voyage Sri Lanka Uniktour, which are worth a check, and you can even choose to customize your trip. Make sure to book in advance, so that you can get better rooms and hotels. If you are around religious places, it is always a good idea to wear the right clothing, and do buy an umbrella once you are here, as the weather is pretty unpredictable.
Start a tad early and look for the right deals!